Re: [ontolog-forum] Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO)

To: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:33:40 -0600

On Dec 15, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Obrst, Leo J. <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> I’ve looked over the FIBO ontology in the past, though not recently. And it
>actually looked like a pretty sound ontology, all things considered. Does it
>have some clunky definitions? Yes, apparently. That definition of Thing did
>strike me as that given by a non-ontologist with a smidgeon of knowledge for
>those non-ontologists that have even less knowledge.    (02)

So, Leo. Let me ask you, given that definition, does FIBO mandate that all
things are sets? This is what it seems to actually say, even though that is an
extraordinary idea for a practical ontology. But I can also read it as saying
(in confused prose whose intended meaning is that) only that all things must be
IN a set, which is a tautology and therefore not worth saying. And there is no
way to know which meaning is intended. Since FIBO is, I gather, in actual use,
presumably someone must know the right answer. I would be delighted if they
could tell me how they were able to discover what the answer is.     (03)

No doubt the reaction from all the practical-minded people out there to such a
question would be, who cares? These top levels of the ontology are of no
practical import in any case. Which is of course true, if the ontology is
treated only as a kind of broad-brush guide to the intended meanings of the
terms. But then why bother with definitions at all? For that matter, why bother
with ontologies?     (04)

> But if anyone has ever participated in a standards process, there are many
>folks involved who really want to contribute but can’t effectively because
>they don’t know enough, and so a lot of cleaning up is necessary. That’s why
>it requires real experts, including practicing and knowledgeable ontologists
>to provide correct input, and to help fix awkward or bad definitions, among
>other items.
>
> So I’d suggest that the armchair ontologists out there actually consider
>assisting in the development of ontology standards such as FIBO.    (05)

Sure. My consulting rate is a mere $150 per hour.     (06)

Pat    (07)

> Believe me, FIBO is very advanced, compared to most of the “ontology”
>resources out there, and definitely is providing a strong service to the
>financial industry.
>
> I would also suggest this shouldn’t be another opportunity to bash OWL and
>the Semantic Web. We must be focused on good content, yes, but also be
>pragmatic and effective.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)