Re: [ontolog-forum] Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <sesuncedu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:09:42 -0500

On Dec 15, 2014 12:03 PM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...the basic definitions of terminology in those documents could not have been written by any minimally competent ontologist. They are nonsensical, as written. I have no outrage myself, only weariness, but after a decade of giving my efforts to the W3C pro bono, I am no longer willing to contribute to the greater good by teaching basic semantics to committees of people who are ignorant of the foundations of the subject they profess to be practicing.  Surely you can find *somebody* who knows the difference between a fact and a property, or between a set and an individual? Do you have anyone in your groups who understands the technical distinctions and theory underlying ontology design?

To be fair to David Newman, he is not an executive or board member of the Enterprise Data Management Council, and does not have control over their staffing decisions. It is possible that the EDMC may have hired a trained ontologist to review and remediate ontology quality problems, then released them when too many issues were noted.

I would also note that the OMG decided not to not take the output of the first FIBO Foundations Finalization Task Force (FTF).

The deadline for comments on the output of a second FTF has passed; I do not know if that work has been voted on yet.

The FTF 2 revised documents are here:
http://www.omgwiki.org/OMG-FDTF/doku.php

Simon