Re: [ontolog-forum] Advances in Cognitive Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 09:01:16 +0100
Dear John,
I wrote a paper a few years ago:
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/publications/IntelligenceInSystems.pdf
which takes a rather different approach. Rather than asking whether a system
can fool you into thinking it is a person, it asks what it is about a system
that makes you consider it "intelligent" or "dumb" (we've all encountered
plenty of the later, and maybe a few of the former).
I outlined four signs to look for to assess a systems "intelligence".
. They do things for you, or are helpful for the things you do.
. They are able to cope with the new or unexpected.
. They are able to communicate and "understand" information from different
sources.
. They "understand" their own workings and help you in setting up and using
themselves.
It seems to me that your list below is just focussing on the first of these.
Watson would seem to do at least the first three to a significant degree (I
simply don't know about the fourth).
I personally don't care much about whether a system can fool me into
thinking it's a person. I do care about the list above, and how we can work
towards systems that do these things better (and of course the role of
ontology in achieving them).    (01)

Regards    (02)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (03)