Re: [ontolog-forum] Advances in Cognitive Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: patrick.w.langley@xxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:04:50 -0700

On Sep 3, 2014, at 8:29 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Volume 3, September 2013 to August 2014, of the Journal
> _Advances in Cognitive Systems_ is available for free download:
>
>    http://www.cogsys.org/journal/volume-3/
>
> The editor, Pat Langley, proposed four research challenges that
> are more realistic than the Turing test:
>
>    http://www.cogsys.org/pdf/paper-9-3-37.pdf
>
> Following are the four challenges:
>
>  1. A synthetic entertainer -- a singer-songwriter that people would
>     enjoy listening to.
>
>  2. A synthetic attorney that would interview a client, gather
>     information, plan a defense, interact with the judge and witnesses,
>     and prepare and present a closing argument.
>
>  3. A synthetic politician that would analyze information about
>     current issues, write and deliver speeches, answer questions,
>     and participate in debates with other candidates.
>
>  4. A synthetic teacher that would compose lectures on a subject,
>     present them to students, answer questions during or after the
>     lectures, generate exercises and tests, and grade the answers.
>
> When the movie _2001: A Space Odyssey_ came out in 1968, Marvin Minsky,
> who had been a technical adviser for it, said that the HAL 9000 was a
> "conservative estimate" of the state of the art of AI in 2001.
>
> An AI system with the abilities of HAL could do a respectable job
> as an entertainer, attorney, politician, or teacher.  But there is
> no research prototype today that comes remotely close.
>
> I'm not sure about the practical value of synthetic politician,
> but any AI system that could do even a subset of the tasks that
> Langley lists for the attorney or teacher would be extremely
> valuable.    (02)

Valuable for who, exactly? Seems to me all it would do is put human attorneys
and teachers out of a job. Or, more likely, mean that some human teachers and
attorneys (those who have the funds to buy or rent such a system) have a
devastating advantage over other human rivals.     (03)

Pat Hayes    (04)

> Why can't AI do those tasks today?  What kind of R & D would help?
>
> John

>     (05)

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)