Re: [ontolog-forum] Advances in Cognitive Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 22:27:12 +0200

Hello Philip,    (01)

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 03:05:02PM -0400, Philip Jackson wrote:
> > but any AI system that could do even a subset of the tasks that
> > Langley lists for the attorney or teacher would be extremely
> > valuable.
> PH
> > Valuable for who, exactly? Seems to me all it would do is put
> > human attorneys and teachers out of a job. Or, more likely,
> > mean that some human teachers and attorneys (those who have
> > the funds to buy or rent such a system) have a devastating
> > advantage over other human rivals.
> This is the general problem of technological unemployment resulting from
>automation and AI, which has been receiving increased attention over the past
>several years.    (02)

Or the problem that statements from people working in that field sometimes
suggest to others that they care more about making some dream come true than
about desirability or consequences.    (03)

> Section 2.1 of my thesis discusses 'higher-level mentalities' needed to
>support human-level intelligence in general.    (04)

If you carry on like this we'll have to rename this mailing list to
"Philip Jackson's doctoral thesis" ;-)    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Michael Brunnbauer    (07)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer