Re: [ontolog-forum] Advances in Cognitive Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:38:49 -0700

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:29 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The editor, Pat Langley, proposed four research challenges that
are more realistic than the Turing test: ...

Why can't AI do those tasks today?  What kind of R & D would help?

I believe the answer has to do with basic research into the nature of computation and the natural mechanism of recgnition, that I will argue is not to be found in any of Turing's methods of computation. I believe that, or I should say that I like to believe that, this is the area of basic research that I have pursued this past decade.

This means that the kind of R&D that would help relates to an investigation of of the fundamentals of mathematical biophysics and the identification of the nonlinear methods of recognition in general, and sense and response in particular (essentially this reduces to the computational use and mechanics of computable hyperfunctions and something like complex analysis). Computational heuristics are only of limited value.

The beginings of this research is to be found in my forthcoming book "On The Origin Of Experience. The Shaping Of Sense And The Complex World."

Steven