Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking to the Future of Data Science - NYTimes.com

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:33:02 -0400

Anecdote about my first professor of Computer Science, in Graduate School at U. Penn, Averind Joshi:

I went to him and said : I wrote up some programs in Algol to execute the Turing Machines in the exercises.

He said, standing on his toes, "In the FIRST place, in the PHYSICAL universe, there is not, nor could there ever be, such a thing as a Turing Machine or any other real computer.

If you want to deal with imprecise, unpredicatable approximations of real computers, take some computer engineering courses."

Of course there is NO physical science legitimately called computer science, any more than there is a 'automotive science'.  This is what I heard Feinman say, and it surely seems obvious.  OTOH, there is a branch of *mathematics* called computer science.  I think this was Ed B's point, and nothing that Feinmann says is even on this point, as far I can see.    The more general issue is that mathematics itself is something entirely different from 'science;.

Wm