[ontolog-forum] It's not data, it's structure

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrik Eklund <peklund@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:12:46 +0300
It's not "data science", ss important in language, ontology, knowledge
and dialogue. It's "structure science", and this discipline is not even
recognized.    (01)

I wrote something a while ago about "not big data, but big structure",
and in this case "big" is less, if at all, connected to computing and
engineering.    (02)

In nomenclature it is quite clear to me that it is not about
"nomenclature data", but about "nomenclature structure". Similarly, it's
not about "attribute data", but about "attribute structure". Database
typing of data is fine, but all too simple to support more elaborate
structure. I often say that XML Schema binds structure more to data,
whereas XML File gives you more freedom. This is just a simple XML
remark, but this is also about the distinction between data and
structure, or between computing and logic for that matter.    (03)

The same goes for clouds. If we speak "photo", it's data, but if we
speak "image", it's not just data, but also structure. Do data centers
store photos or images? You tell me. I think they store mostly photos,
so that's "big data". But that's another story. That is basically just
about storing and retrieving.    (04)

Structure. That's what it's all about (at least for ontology).    (05)

Cheers,    (06)

Patrik    (07)