Re: [ontolog-forum] Discussion re reasoning about Time and State with RE

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 20:00:16 -0700
Leo, I understand your point, but I also know you
are not giving up and you don't expect John or
anyone else to, but John is simply emphasizing
that it is an expensive undertaking in economic
terms (lots of person-hours, lots of dollars, thus
lots of people, and lots of politicality).      (01)

Someone (perhaps MW?) wrote:
>> The important thing to take from this is not
that it is too
>> difficult, but that you need to think about how
time relates
>> to the requirements you are trying to meet, and
make sure
>> you have a model that is fit for purpose. A
particularly bad
>> approach is to start with a current state model
and then try
>> to add change, history and time later.    (02)

I disagree.  The usual linear system equations can
be predictions of state values in the next
iteration, and by default the system is the same
from iteration K to iteration K+1, but there is no
reason we are constrained by that.  We could have
system[k] be distinct from system[k+1] and
therefore expand the basic ideas behind linear
systems theories, which have worked so well within
those constraints, to a more general purpose if
the linear system equations are replaced by more
general functions.      (03)

-Rich    (04)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper