Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Mark H Linehan" <mhl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:39:59 -0400

(I’ve been travelling for the last week, so haven’t been able to respond to this discussion until now.  But Ed capture the key point.)

Ed said:

“The ternary predicate approach that John describes is viable, but clumsy.  The ternary predicate approach requires a different ternary predicate if you want to specify location instead of time, or a quaternary predicate to specify both, etc.”

This is why I claimed that IKL “that” (or Sowa “describes”) is necessary.  It is just plain unrealistic to expect every predicate to have variants for time and location – not to mention other modifiers that English would express using adverbs. As soon as you want to have a general-purpose ontology (e.g. for time) that can be used with ANY predicate, you need this capability.

Mark