Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 03:31:58 -0400
Rich,    (01)

I was not talking about logic programming languages.  The point I
was trying to make is that digital computers are logic machines.    (02)

JFS
> ... logic is simpler and more general than any programming language.
> Anything you can represent in any program can be defined in logic
> in a way that's independent of the many constantly changing features
> of NLs and programming languages.    (03)

RC
> I strongly disagree with this judgment.  Logic programming languages
> such as prolog, or rule based expert systems are deceptively simple,
> and don't cover all the functionality that a programming language covers.    (04)

I wasn't talking about programming styles.  I agree that some kinds
of transformations are easier to state in one notation or another.
But every step in any notation can be specified in logic:    (05)

  1. The total content of any digital computer and all the devices
     connected to it is a logical statement:  a conjunction of zeros
     and ones at various positions.    (06)

  2. Every operation by the computer transforms some part of that
     Boolean statement to a different Boolean statement.    (07)

  3. Therefore, there is no function that a programming language
     can specify that cannot be defined in logic.    (08)

This just demonstrates the possibility.  In practice, of course,
you break up the specification into more convenient chunks.    (09)