Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:17:00 -0700
Dear John,    (01)

You wrote, among other things:    (02)

>... logic is simpler and more general than any
>programming language.  Anything you can represent
in any program
>can be defined in logic in a way that's
independent of the many
>constantly changing features of NLs and
programming languages.    (03)

I strongly disagree with this judgment.  Logic
programming languages such as prolog, or rule
based expert systems are deceptively simple, and
don't cover all the functionality that a
programming language covers.  It may look more
intuitive and certainly simpler than programs, but
logic has its own area of most valuable usage, and
that area overlaps with programming languages, but
cannot compete in other areas.      (04)

The thought process is very simple;  if logic is
so easy, and so simple to learn compared to
programming languages, why are there so many
nondeclarative programming languages?  Nearly
every major software product is written in a
procedural language, or most likely five or six
such languages.      (05)

Relational DBs can do nearly anything prolog can
do, but more efficiently, with SQL.  But SQL has
its own niche, which is also distinct from logic,
in that it supports very large databases, while
logic programs are nearly always tiny.      (06)

Logic programming languages have their place all
right, and certainly monopolize the inference
process, but even programming languages can do
logic if given a unification method.  For my Elk
for Patents, I use inference, but it is written in
Delphi, not in a logic programming language,
because of the difficulty of mixing logic
programming with procedural programming.  In
nearly every application (excluding credit
agencies, government, and academic research),
procedural languages are vastly more widely used.    (07)

-Rich    (08)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com