Re: [ontolog-forum] Reducing IKL to CL

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>, tara_athan@xxxxxxxxxx, Tara Athan <taraathan@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fabian Neuhaus <fneuhaus@xxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:44:45 -0400
Pat,    (01)

A publishable article is very different from an ISO standard.  Just
look at the huge number of published books, articles, and dissertations
about contexts, situations, modality, and metalanguage.  None of them
are complete and definitive solutions.    (02)

> I have never published [reducing IKL to CL] because it is clearly
> incomplete and I have not been able to get Chris Menzel interested
> enough in it to correspond with me about it.    (03)

Hilbert's famous 10 problems (later 23) were incomplete.  But they
stimulated some very important research.    (04)

Suggestion:  Don't state it as a solution.  State it as a problem to
be addressed, and discuss the various issues involved.  By opening up
an important line of research, it could be far more influential than
a finished solution.    (05)

Fermat, for example, is more famous for what he didn't complete
than for the many contributions he did.    (06)