Re: [ontolog-forum] Reducing IKL to CL (was: Re: Requesting Opinions on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:21:33 +0200
On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
​...​

​...
I have never published it because it is clearly incomplete and I have not been able to ge
​​
t Chris Menzel interested enough in it to correspond with me about it. (I think Chris
​​
has put away childish things like IKL, now he has become a grown-up philosopher wi
​​
th tenure :-)

:-) Not for lack of interest! But, as I’ve noted since IKL’s early days, I think the ideas you raise for exploring its consistency ​can only finally be pursued rigorously when IKL has a sound model theory and I’m pretty sure (given the language’s self-referential capabilities) that that lies in the direction of the fixed point semantics that have dominated theories of truth and exemplification since the seminal work of, in particular, Kripke, Gupta, and Herzberger. And my own (quite unrelated) research in the philosophy of logic/maths has just not allowed me to devote the sort of time that will be needed to get up to necessary speed. I keep hoping I’ll be able to return to it, though...

-chris