Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: tknorr <tknorr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:46:14 -0700

Frank,

I think so.

“owner” is a bad example since I would represent it as a role of a instance of a “system”.

The interpretation is somewhat reversible. I would write it as

X (type system) has owner (human role) A (who is a person) .

There were reasons to do this, but I have to find them. I think it was easier to process when you access the data.

'Owner' has a type override as 'human role'.

'Human role' is a composite with 'role' as 'head' and 'human' as 'adjectival modifier'.

You could 'index' by 'human role' or 'role' or refine the role even more

We generate the textual presentation (label) of concept both in the search and presentation, so either component of the triplet could be a rather complex phrase.

My 'type defining' relations would come into play when defining 'system'

(System, has multiple mandatory inherited property, owner)

You would not be able to add System X without entering also an owner, in this case.

The semantic relations are more in the direction of:

dinner table ::= (table, for the purpose of, eating dinner)

typical composition of the relation here is:

(preposition) → (noun | verb/gerund) → (postposition)

but either component is optional, except relation != <empty> must be true

You notice that the semantic interpretation is not reversible

you can search for 'dinner table' and get 'table for the purpose of eating dinner'

there are overrides at play that we do through the language interface,

'for' is an abbreviation for 'for the purpose of' (in this case) as opposed to the 'for' that abbreviates 'for duration of'. Our system expands the label of the concept to be most specific when it interfaces with SME's. This is a bit annoying sometimes but allows to craft very precise semantic nets. If we have it generate a 'human optimized' output it runs an 'optimizer' just like a compiler that detects redundancy and removes context that is obvious.

So a label could come up as 'table for eating dinner', 'eating dinner' of course is abbreviated as 'dining',
so 'table for dining', getting closer, but still not 'dinner table'.

Anyway, not really part of your question.

Any relations, no matter what category can be a index. Also, if you allow composite relations, the types of these provide supersets of indexes....

Tom