Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:20:31 -0700
I see an additional benefit, but not necessarily affiliated with the
way you describe an 'implicit node' -- where a predicate appears,
still, to be a second-class citizen in the graph.    (01)

Let me explain.    (02)

Mostly, it would seem that a predicate in a triple performs the task
of linking subject and object; it has no other reason for being there
other than to complete the assertion, e.g. A relates to B.    (03)

But, consider this: if a specific *instance* of a predicate exists as
a connective between two objects, then it can be said to carry the
full semantics of the assertion itself. The instance is not an
'implicit' node: it is a vertex like any other in a graph.    (04)

If I say: A cause B, then the node which is the 'cause' predicate can
carry the full semantics of the triple itself. It's not just your
father's predicate anymore; it's a first class citizen.    (05)

Why do I care?    (06)

Consider that said predicate has entails a possibly complex biography.
Who discovered it? What evidence supports it? What debates are in play
about it?    (07)

I can't assign or otherwise link that biography to either A or B, but
only to the specific predicate that ties them together.    (08)

If I might add, I will assert that predicates as first class citizens
is perhaps the only difference between an RDF graph and a topic map.
I've built topic maps with RDF using the BigData RDF store; they work
just fine, can import and export from, e.g. OWL documents, but with a
loss of information when the topic map becomes OWL.    (09)