Re: [ontolog-forum] fitness of XML for ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:25:15 -0500
Ed and Cory,    (01)

EJB
> For once we agree, although I must say I think the analogy to Roman
> numerals is dubious.    (02)

The critical part of the analogy is with the operations on the data
(e.g., add, subtract, multiply, divide).  For both math and logic,
the operations are defined in terms of the syntax.  That's important
for both human understanding and computer efficiency.    (03)

EJB quoting PT
> Paul (Tyson) wrote:
>> the overall benefits of representing enterprise knowledge in XML far
>> outweigh the cost of the extra markup.
>
> That may be true of representing enterprise knowledge IN MESSAGES,
> i.e., IN FLOW, but there is no evidence of its being true of
> representing enterprise knowledge IN REPOSITORIES.    (04)

Since Ed agrees with me, I agree with him.  Amazon.com, for example,
uses an XML representation for messages to suppliers and partners.
But their DB itself is relational.  And their XML encoding is more
compact and readable than if they had used RDF/XML.    (05)

CC
> [XML's] primary mainstream purpose seems to be for externalized/shared
> structured data.    (06)

Yes.  That's what Ed said.    (07)

CC
> I really don't care much how people persist and exchange their data
> (or metadata) as long as the model is sound.    (08)

We all agree that sound models are critical.  The use of XML for those
models is *independent* of how RDF and OWL are represented.    (09)