Re: [ontolog-forum] fitness of XML for ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 22:57:24 -0600
Hi John,    (01)

I see now where I have misunderstood you. When you say W3C specs that
use normative XML definitions are overly complex, defective, or useless,
you apparently mean "for direct use by logic programmers", that is, for
preparing data instances to feed to a Prolog process or theorem prover.
(In 30 years of supporting aerospace engineering and manufacturing
processes I have not once encountered a professional logician or pure
logic programmer employed in the industry, so this interpretation of
your statements did not come readily to mind.)    (02)

I agree. But: 1) I don't think any of the specs in the W3C semantic
technology stack are aimed directly at supporting academic researches in
logic programming and theorem proving; 2) it is trivial to
down-translate XML to any leaner notation for specialized processing, or
to a display format as an aid to understanding; and 3) the overall
benefits of representing enterprise knowledge in XML far outweigh the
cost of the extra markup.    (03)

Regards,
--Paul    (04)