Re: [ontolog-forum] fitness of XML for ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 21:59:35 -0800
Paul:    (01)

On 2014-02-05 8:57 PM, "Paul Tyson" <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (02)

#2 is not necessarily true.  It is not "trivial".  There are actually data
fragments or structures that are not supported directly by Xml without
some creative hacking.  Even UML CVD's are not always directly convertible
to XML.  It also depends on the structures supported by the leaner
notation.      (04)

XML is derived from XML Infoset. There are 11 basic abstract model
components.  If these are not all supported by the leaner notation,
problems will arise.    (05)

#3 is also not necessarily true in all contexts.  Without some form of
requirements or details of what one is trying to accomplish, such
statements are misleading.  When you say 'representing', do you mean for
persisting or merely for marshalling data into XML for app to app
conveyance? There are hundreds of factors in that simple choice to
consider before expanding into other contexts.    (06)

I would aver that a session on XML might be good to help everyone
understand the specifications themselves a bit better.  The people who
wrote the specifications (Charles, Jon, Tim et al) are all very smart and
gave XML a lot of serious thought.  I am a big fan of their work and
specifically of the way they built the specifications.    (07)

Duane Nickull    (08)