Re: [ontolog-forum] Is Big Data intrinsically an invasion of privacy?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 19:23:21 -0500
On 1/19/2014 3:50 AM, K Goodier wrote:
Friends,

Also in the federal context in the U.S., we promote the protection of personally identifiable information as defined in NIST Special Publication 800-22. So even if you consent to the collection of PII, at least in this context, you have a right to expect some safeguarding of your personally identifiable data.  I am part of a group that discusses these issues in the public federal big data meet up.
I would think that we also need some legislature to go along with privacy definitions. Else each state, corporation, municipality or museum will have their own guidelines.

Further, we need definitions that cover law enforcement policies. Imagine an officer stops you for running a red light.
1. He asks for your driver's license and registration and is in the process of citing you for a traffic violation.
2. Next he asks politely if he can see your phone to see your phone. You refuse, citing the need for a warrant.
3. He asks you to step out of the car and searches you, taking your phone.
4. He tries to search the phone but stops to ask you for your password(s). You give it to him.
5. He looks at all your contacts, sent text messages and sees that you once communicated with a felon who is now in a gang.
6. He requests a dispatch to search your house as your are suspected of being in a gang.

How do we control the shenanigans without ring-fencing the limits of privacy for each of the contexts above? How does a privacy definition vary for school students? What about for trade school students where there is no "in loco parentis"? This sounds like an opportunity for an ontology that defines relations that have been put into force for each of the states. Unless that is, we have a working Federal definition
.

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems
 Concord, MA USA