Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:17:30 -0500
On 12/13/13 7:31 AM, Axel Polleres wrote:
> FWIW, I might be missing the point in this whole discussion, but:    (01)

On my part, I am trying to demystify Linked Data. Basically, I've always
believed that its underlying principles can be explained in a variety of
ways.

> The stress of the usage of URIs to identify things in Linked Data is not
>about complete disambiguation.
> In terms of modeling, just as in logics, the usage of structure (RDF) and
>named identifiers (URIs) shall restrict the number of possible
>interpretations… not more, not less; plus: the added value of URIs & HTTP
>enabling reuse and linkage and a certain degree of control of identifiers
>(since URIs have ownership through pay level domains). I think that's quite a
>good starting point.    (02)

Yes!    (03)

One good thing that's come out of this thread is the subtlety between
"word" and "term" (a specialization of word) especially in relation to
the TimBL's Linked Data meme [1]. Basically, in the context of RDF based
Linked Data, HTTP URIs are *terms* i.e., they are words that combine
denotation and reference [2][3].    (04)

As they say, "the devil's in the details" and this particular detail
(methinks) is the basis for a lot of confusion.    (05)

[1] https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/posts/jkJGY5hRKgb --
Revisiting Linked Data principles.    (06)

[2] http://bit.ly/15tk1Au -- HTTP URI Duality Illustrated.    (07)

[3] http://www.wikihow.com/Differentiate-Between-a-Term-and-a-Word .    (08)

Kingsley

> best,
> Axel
>
> --
> Prof. Dr. Axel Polleres
> Institute for Information Business, WU Vienna
> url: http://www.polleres.net/  twitter: @AxelPolleres
>
> On Dec 13, 2013, at 10:29 AM, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Dear Kingsley,
>> That’s much closer.
>>
>> On 12/11/13 8:39 AM, Matthew West wrote:
>> Dear Kingsley,
>> I think you are missing the point I am trying to make.
>> Words typically have multiple meanings, indeed just one meaning is rather
>> unusual.
>>
>> I've been pondering the above, and having just digested the exchange between
>Ed. Barkmeyer and John Sowa [1][2], I realized that its highly probable that
>you meant:
>>
>> "A term is (*in addition to being a word*) a point of reference, whereas a
>word is only a constituent of language. Hence, all terms are words, but only
>some words can be terms. A term *refers to* something, either *abstract* or
>*concrete*." [1] .
>> [MW>] A term may be more than one word, so “composition of physical object”
>and “composition of activity” are both terms that happen to be specializations
>of the term “composition” (in a particular sense of the word composition, so
>not a piece of music for instance).
>> So here the term “composition” in a defined context has one meaning, even
>though the word “composition” generally has many.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Matthew West
>> Information  Junction
>> Tel: +44 1489 880185
>> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
>> Skype: dr.matthew.west
>> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
>> https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
>and Wales No. 6632177.
>> Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
>SG6 2SU.
>>

>> The definition of "term" quoted above also maps nicely to the duality
>inherent in HTTP URIs -- when used a the mechanism for denoting anything,
>rather than Web documents solely.
>>
>> I've tweaked my recent posts [4][5] accordingly.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Links:
>>
>> [1] http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2013-12/msg00062.html --
>Ed's reply to John
>> [2] http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2013-12/msg00060.html --
>most recent comment to which Ed replied
>> [3] http://www.wikihow.com/Differentiate-Between-a-Term-and-a-Word
>> [4] https://plus.google.com/+KingsleyIdehen/posts/3LP8ALd8bQR -- G+ post
>about making Documents, Sentences, Words, and Terms webby
>> [5] https://plus.google.com/+KingsleyIdehen/posts/jkJGY5hRKgb -- initial
>Linked Data meme related post that triggered this thread.

> [...]

--     (010)

Regards,    (011)

LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen    (012)