[ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:26:23 -0500
On 12/13/13 10:18 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
On 12/13/13 9:52 AM, David Eddy wrote:
Kingsley -

On Dec 11, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

[1] http://bit.ly/INv6ag -- effect of fragment identifiers as global identifiers on/in the Web medium

Guess I'm getting old or something but such artistic overpowering complexity just doesn't speak to me.

The diagram is item #3 of a collection of slides that illustrate how name resolution protocols based abstraction lead to different clouds [1][2][3].

 My initial thought on seeing a slide like that is to simply shut down.  Tooooooo many moving pieces.

Talk about overload.

I am overlaying clouds to illustrate the effect of abstraction. The World Wide Web is an abstraction layer atop the Internet. The Linked Open Data cloud is a layer of abstraction atop the World Wide Web. The Semantic Web is an augmentation of the Linked Open Data Cloud where *relation semantics* (delivered by RDF) are accessible and comprehensible to both humans and machines.

How long & how much does it cost to create a document like that?

The cost of my time. I made them.

Certainly violate's George MIller's rule-of-seven +/- 2.

Or look at it this way... you've got a shot to pitch Steve Jobs.  Would you have that slide in your deck?

I successfully pitched (platform independent data access) to him years ago without a slide deck since NeXT actually groked this stuff eons ago. Every copy of Mac OS X includes an ODBC Driver (FWIW) :-)
Forgot to add actual links to compliment the references made in my initial post (above).

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/1cjYwqN -- DNS  based Linked Computer Network (e.g., Internet)
[2] http://bit.ly/1c9JpwF -- HTTP URL based Linked Document Network (e.g., World Wide Web)
[3] http://bit.ly/INv6ag -- HTTP URI based Linked Open Data Network (e.g. Linked Open Data Cloud).