Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:11:57 -0500
On 12/13/13 9:31 AM, Doug McDavid wrote:
Kingsley -- Others have said this in different ways, but I want to respond to your statement that a term constitutes "a specialization of word" by adding:  a term can consist of multiple words.  A term can consist of multiple words.  Or maybe best identified as a "lexical unit" as defined in Cruse, 1986.

I don't dispute the fact that a term can be comprised of multiple words i.e., a phrase based term. The focal point of my post is that when an HTTP URI adheres to Linked Data principles the implication is that: it denotes an entity in a manner that implicitly enables looking up the meaning of its referent i.e., it is the conceptual and functional equivalent of a "term" .

Maybe we can look at things as follows:

1. hypertext -- words anchored by HTTP URLs.
2. hyperdata -- terms anchored by HTTP URIs.

URL and URI distinction?

HTTP URLs are a kind of HTTP URI that specifically denote documents. Resolution of this kind of HTTP URI leads to content.

WebIDs are a kind of HTTP URIs that specifically denote agents (people, organizations, and other entity types that are capable mechanized operation). Resource of this kind of HTTP URI leads to content that specifically describes the URI's referent.

Anyway, I'll look closer at my post to see if I can incorporate your suggestion re., multiple-word-terms .

Kingsley