Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:56:44 -0500
John,    (01)

Your points are further underscored by the issue of context in which the
words are uttered or published. Much (most?) dialog takes place in
institutional and domain relationship contexts (such as this forum and in
the workplace context most of us have spent a major portion of our lives
in). While the changes in definition of common words are often minor or even
negligible/inconsequential in most such contexts, a significant portion of
the words have very specific and variant definitions in such contexts. Some
of the recent email dialog in this forum provides many examples of this, and
the business world is filled with domain/trade and company-specific
terminology and word senses. Also, while many aim to publish to a broad (but
nonetheless constrained) audience and strive to use "standard" or common
word senses, much dialog is aimed at specific purposes by dialog
participants based on specific relationships among those participants. And
the relationships among participants are themselves dynamic. So we have
dynamism in the evolution of language and word senses, we have broad
variability in contexts in which the words are used, and we have dynamism in
the relationships of the dialog participants to each other.    (02)

Of course, this is all very frustrating to people who want universal
interoperability and understandability - that "universal business language
translator" mentioned somewhat tongue-in-cheek(ly) in a classic commercial
(I believe it was for IBM, if I remember correctly). In theory, we should
all explicitly enumerate all the context, purpose, effective duration, and
frames of reference parameters (among others) that might pertain to the
definitions we use in some given string of words we utter or publish.
Pragmatically, we do it only rarely and only in specific contexts in which
we are aware of, or are alerted to, the importance of doing so. Even then,
we typically only enumerate what we view as the most important context
parameters (sometimes only one). Indeed, we often react indignantly when
someone else points out that we left out some context condition/caveat -
"well of course, that's what I meant", or "everyone knows that", or "I'm not
trying to boil the ocean", or "nitpicker".     (03)

A key function of "session establishment" actions, such as user logon or
"account" creations is to manage dynamism in context and relationships. This
allows some level of consistency and precision in word definitions and data
element definitions in computer-mediated interactions/transactions within
the scope limits of the session or institutional/domain relationships of the
participants (the dreaded data silos mentioned in past dialogs on this
forum).  Rather than continue to strive to do away with such relationship
management mechanisms via universal ("context-free", "relationship-free")
linked data, it would be better, in my view, to add mechanisms for
representing context and relationship information on a "drill-down" basis.
By this I mean to continue to allow context information to be ignored, if
dialog participants or information seekers choose to do so, but to make such
information available "on demand" if participants sense that there may be
some mismatch in word/data definitions. One way to do this is to provide
"meta" links with any data links that point to context/relationship
parameters that drove the particular reason for the link being provided.
These parameters could include a few common context parameters, such as
institution name and linker's purpose for the link, but also should be
open-ended to allow the kind of dynamism discussed above and in your email.
Meta-links would be optional for pragmatic reasons and used only when the
author/creator of the link senses that there may be followers of the link
who should be aware of link context information, but might not be.  I
realize this is a bit of hand-waving on my part, but I believe many existing
domain-specific communication protocols and data models already incorporate
some of these conceptual elements. Let's promote commonality and
standardization  in definitions in contexts of defined scope and purpose,
but support dynamism, diversity and evolution in definitions with changing
contexts, relationships and scope.    (04)

Hans    (05)