Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:31:54 -0500
Spot-on and very nicely stated, Hans.    (01)

I would also reference Pat Hayes' post to the Ontolog forum of 1/2/2008
9:07 PM
(http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-01/msg00035.html), in
which he states:    (02)

"... there is no such 'thing' as an objective context, and so there is
no general theory of contexts, or science of contexts, which can be
applied to all cases of "context". Indeed, since, in the limit, it seems
that almost anything can influence meaning under some circumstances, it
follows that anything at all can be considered to be a context."    (03)

I might rewrite part of that to say, "almost anything *will* [subtly or
grossly] influence meaning in *every* circumstance." For this reason, it
is difficult to deconstruct the meaning of any particular
natural-language utterance to find the meaning behind it.    (04)

But, however, nevertheless -- also keeping in mind that no one here
believes that we can represent human knowledge perfectly -- it is still
possible to create formal representations of exchanges of meaning.
Humans can internalize the meaning of those representations with
sufficient accuracy to make judgments about their relevance and usefulness.    (05)

It is highly desirable to do so -- proactively, as those communications
take place -- because static "information" is no longer our friend. The
meaning of those communications is negotiated. Without explicit
representations of meaning, individuals even slightly removed from
localized discussions will fail to understand or will misinterpret
natural-language information.  Even the participants in those
discussions will have different interpretations of that information.
(Reactions to meeting notes usually confirm those differences!)    (06)

The cost of reverse-engineering the meaning of such communications
recorded solely as natural-language information is extraordinarily high:
wasted time, duplication of effort, introduction of errors ... and
opportunities missed.    (07)

Phil Murray    (08)