Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:02:33 -0500
On 12/10/13 9:05 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:

Following is a copy of a note I sent to Ontolog Forum in October.

I strongly recommend Adam K's article.  The title is taken from

a comment by Sue Atkins, a professional lexicographer who devoted

her entire career to defining words and collaborating with linguists,

computational linguists, and computer scientists.

My suggestion to Kingsley was inspired by his web site, which recommends URIs for designating any word.  But I find that the median citizen only uses short words, averaging around five letters per word, for the great majority of language use.

URIs are normally very long, perhaps twenty to fifty letters, and that makes them different from said median citizen’s words.  By putting up a dictionary URI that contains only the word senses that apply to the context of the URI’s subject matter, and not to other contexts, that can be simplified, and the user can spec the base URI once, at the beginning of his document, but thereafter use the normal five letter word.  To locate the word’s definition, the document software would only have to concatenate the five letter words (etc) to the base URI.

Yes, and this is why relative hash based HTTP URIs are a key part of the deal [1].

## In Turtle Notation ##
## I can state the following where <> maps to the HTTP URL that the ontolog server assigns to this particular post.

<>
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type> <http://purl.org/ontology/bibo/Document>, <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Document> .

## Turtle End ##

[1] http://bit.ly/WAJGCp -- I sometimes refer to this as Linked Data in a single slide