Re: [ontolog-forum] "I don't believe in word senses." Sue Atkins

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:38:46 -0400
Ed -

On Oct 18, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Barkmeyer, Edward J wrote:

Since language is learned in the context of a culture, is the learned process conditioned by the culture?

Please to acknowledge that "culture" is also part of the work place... the folks working the loading dock are going to have different words & meanings from the folks in accounting.

So how many cultures—languages—are there in a place like the Pentagon?  Blue, white, green, & purple suiters & we haven't even touched the various professional disciplines which all apply their own unique spin on "reality."

The chances of their being **** A **** correct meaning is pretty much close to zero.

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx