Re: [ontolog-forum] "I don't believe in word senses." Sue Atkins

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:06:40 +0000

FWIW, I think John Black is on to something of significance here.  Interpretation of an utterance is a mental process, which we perform usually without being aware of the process or its details.  The interpretation of a word within an utterance is a part of that process.  I would say that interpretation of a word only occurs AS a part of that process, that is, only in the (dreaded word) “context” that IS the utterance.  (The overall process of interpreting the utterance involves the context OF the utterance – the situation in which the utterance occurs, which may be “quite another thing entirely”.)

I don’t know that there is “common knowledge ... of the optimal process of making sense of a particular word in a particular situation”.  There is surely a learned process that is a part of learning language, and that process must advance as our knowledge/practice of the language for particular applications advances.  Medical professionals make sense of subtle distinctions in medical terminology, lawyers make sense of subtle distinctions in legal terminology, engineers make sense of subtle distinctions in descriptions of electromechanical mechanisms, literary critics make distinctions in the usage and organization of words.  In all these cases, laymen understand these utterances only crudely.  Do they all use the SAME mental process?  The process of communication, of which interpretation of utterances is a sub-process, employs subject knowledge (of course).  The question is whether the mental mechanism for interpreting an utterance is so generic as to take subject knowledge only as an input, or involves a specialized interpretation mechanism that is learned in mastering the subject.

I also wonder whether the process of interpretation varies somewhat with ethnicity.  Since language is learned in the context of a culture, is the learned process conditioned by the culture?  I have been told that to communicate effectively in French or Chinese, one must adopt a certain “mindset” that is specific to French culture or Chinese culture.  What is the relationship of that “mindset” to the interpretation process?

I certainly lack the subject knowledge to do more than pose these questions.

I will cavil with what John says about ‘corpus citations’ and ‘individual utterances’.  It seems to me that ‘corpus citation’ is a subclass of ‘individual utterance’.  But then that is just my “personal ontology”.  J

-Ed

--

Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx

Systems Integration Division, Engineering Laboratory

100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263             Work:   +1 301-975-3528

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263             Mobile: +1 240-672-5800

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."