Re: [ontolog-forum] "I don't believe in word senses." Sue Atkins

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 22:42:36 +0000

David,

Perhaps I should have been clearer.  John Black asserted that interpretation of words is a dynamic mental process.  I agree.

John also asserted that that process is “common”.   I think rather that there is a set of such mental processes, that they all have some elements in common, and they probably have some significant divergences in different speech communities.  The expectation of an utterance is that it will be more or less correctly interpreted in the speech community that is the intended audience.  The mental process of making that interpretation may well be largely common to that community, but that doesn’t necessarily make it “common” to human kind.  That was my point.

The mental process for interpreting Chinese may be different from the mental process for interpreting English, and part of the reason for such a difference might well be a difference in worldview between the native Chinese and the Western European.  That is what I meant by “culture” – a mindset acquired in parallel with learning the language itself.

What you suggest is that there are different speech communities within an organization, and their interpretations of a given utterance may be different to a degree that significantly affects the intended communication.  That might suggest that their interpretation processes are different, or just that the related data that their minds bring to that process is different.  That is, the collection of minds may all implement a common algorithm for interpreting the utterance, but the utterance is not the only data used by the algorithm, and the differences in data may result in differences in the result.   Whether differences in interpretation are a consequence of differences in algorithm or differences in data is a version of the question I intentionally left open.

-Ed