Re: [ontolog-forum] "I don't believe in word senses." Sue Atkins

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Black <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 06:34:29 -0400
I would paraphrase this as: "I don't believe in static word senses."  As I see it, a word invokes a process.  In the past we couldn't record processes, and so we used static tools such as dictionaries.  Today, we have computers and can begin to index the processes that make sense of a word by the words that invoke them. So I agree with that article and John S. that the word senses recorded in static dictionaries are abstractions. They abstract away from the process of making sense of a word in a situation

 But there is another abstraction involved in the historical approach to making word senses.  That is the use of corpus citations collected in static corpora as the basis of forming word senses.  What this amounts to is the creation of multiple snapshots of the process of making sense of a word. The corpus citations used for this purpose represent and abstract from people speaking and listening. Thus I would go one further than Sue and Adam and article cited and say that individual utterances, not the corpus citations, are the basic objects in forming ontologies.

However, I agree more with John's response that with Rich here that:

RC
It would seem to be a reasonable conclusion that ontologies are
personal systems of what each individual believes exists.

Different people will interpret the same text in different ways.
But the author who wrote or spoke the text did have something in mind
at the moment of writing or speaking it.  Some readers or listeners
will have a better or worse interpretation of what the author meant.

Because, to the extent that common knowledge among populations of word users of the optimal process of making sense of a particular word in a particular situation as been achieved, the abstractions work. So our ability to communicate, using a particular word, is proportional to the common knowledge we share of the process to make sense of that word in any given situation.

John Black