Re: [ontolog-forum] "I don't believe in word senses." Sue Atkins

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:14:25 -0400
John/all -

On Oct 12, 2013, at 11:44 AM, John F Sowa wrote:

Word sense disambiguation assumes word senses. Within the lexicography
and linguistics literature, they are known to be very slippery entities.

Just to repeat George "Mr WordNet" Miller's two cents:

His example: from a Robert Frost poem (”But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.”), 13 simple words, produce 3.6 trillion combinations.  Something of a challenge for a computer.  A human makes sense of it in a moment.

And to remind about the "words" (most likely cryptic abbreviations & acronyms) in software languages of systems.

In 2006 I built a small "dictionary:"

- 2,000 terms

- 68,000 meanings

In 2006 the "winner" was CC with 298 meanings. Today CC has 445 meanings.  Language is a moving target.  Do the math.

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx