Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:26:23 -0400
Pat, John:    (01)

I understand that there are many different approaches/ideas as to what
constitutes context and scope. I misspoke by implying that there would be
one such ontology. Rather, I think people should be explicit about what
definition/ontology of context they are using, and have that information
accessible somewhere on the network. Other entities on the network would
access that context ontology and the specific context values specified by
some entity on the network and determine to what extent it matches or
differs from their own context definition and attribute values. That, in
turn, would allow a determination of whether some intended interchange is
likely to be sufficiently understandable for the purposes of the interchange
(including any mappings/translations the differences entail or preclude).    (02)

I realize this sounds a bit like pie in the sky, but I think this is really
the direction the long term solution to the interoperability problem needs
to take. And third party "information brokers" can improve the economic
pragmatics of making this work across the spectrum of operational domains
and organizational boundaries (as opposed to making every system be able to
do this kind of multi-domain, multi-ontology, discovery and analysis process
in transactional real time).    (03)

Hans    (04)