Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:15:56 -0400
Kingsley and Pat C,    (01)

KI
> When all is said and done, you end up with the best of both worlds,
> since there's basically a slot for everything that constitutes the
> description graph to which an entity IRI (e.g., HTTP URI) resolves.    (02)

I'm happy with the idea of IRIs when used as a generalization of URLs:
unique identifiers when you need unique identifiers.    (03)

But the problem with NLP is that you never know what a word in a text
really means until *after* you understand the text.    (04)

Any attempt to replace words with IRIs as a preliminary step toward
understanding a text is not only futile, it's hopelessly wrong headed.    (05)

JFS
>> Studies of inter-annotator agreement among well-trained humans show
>> that 95% agreement is very rarely achieved.  More typically, the best
>> computer systems achieve about 75% accuracy.    (06)

PC
> In what - er - "context" is this true?  Do you have a pointer to this?
> This kind of number must be task-dependent.    (07)

The percentage of 95% is widely cited as a "gold standard" and the
value of 75% comes from the SENSEVAL (sense evaluation) projects.    (08)

There was a recent discussion of this point on Corpora List,
which is devoted to NLP work on large volumes of NL data.    (09)

I made some comments that 95% would imply 15 errors per page and
that my high-school English teacher would not consider that good.    (010)

Adam Kilgarriff, who had originally published the value 95%,
admitted that the actual values for inter-annotator agreement
are actually less than that.  Following is his response.    (011)

The entire thread is archived.  You can excerpt a phrase
from the following note, put it in quotes, and find the
complete thread with your favorite search engine.    (012)

John