Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:30:45 -0400
On 7/30/13 2:58 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> The same speaker may use different words or the same words in different
> senses when talking about the same case with different people for
> different purposes.  Replacing words with IRIs is worse than useless,
> because it gives a misleading impression of precision.
Doesn't this depend on the communication medium though? If any of these
entities are communicating by desktop, notebook, tablet, palm top, phone
etc., circa, 2013, there is immense value in have HTTP URI denotes the
entities, relationships, and relations in the discourse domain. To the
participants in such communications the HTTP URIs will be tucked behind
HTML anchor tags.    (01)

HTTP URIs as identifiers are only problematic when that are placed
(unhinged) in the plain view of the user reading a document. I believe
that HTTP URIs should be experienced rather than seen -- unless the user
actually seeks them out for quick access and query path traveral operations.    (02)

To conclude, they are really powerful -- as exemplified by the World
Wide Web -- but could be compromised (as perceived as useless) when
applied inappropriately in data visualization and other related user
interfaces :-)    (03)

When modeling linked data (Abox, TBox, or RBox) I increasingly urge
folks to do the following, as a complement to HTTP based entity URIs :    (04)

1. add an rdfs:label and rdfs:comment  relations
2. add a foaf:depiction relation
3. add a skos:prefLabel relation.    (05)

The items above can work wonders for UI/UX atop entity relationship
graph oriented structured data (e.g., RDF) .    (06)

Links:    (07)

1. http://bit.ly/17XDPkP -- the images, and text (note: Google Translate
incorporation) exemplify the points above
2. http://bit.ly/1aVf46D -- different example showing the use of a
generic image (the RDF triple) from the foaf:depiction relation in the
underlying ontology that drives this tool .    (08)

Regards,    (010)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software