Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: [ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "deddy" <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 10:06:36 -0400
Michael -    (01)

> your example becomes more and more specific and challenging :-) Yes, if all
> you have is the code, you are in trouble and SW technologies are not a magic
> bullet for solving it.
>    (02)

Welcome to the world of legacy systems.    (03)

I hope against hope that somewhere in the SW stack of tools there just might be
something to help with
understanding legacy systems.    (04)

It's a very SMALL hope.    (05)

What I do see is SW creating yet another tangled layer of undocumented, poorly
understood systems.    (06)

I've been attending monthly MIT SW meetings for 4+ years.  Once, by chance, I
did catch TBL himself saying to the
audience that "Semantic Web" was a clever marketing label, but that in reality,
"linked data" would be a more
appropriate description since there really isn't anything special about
semantics in the SW.    (07)

As you may have noticed, my passion is for a process—tool assisted, but
requiring human knowledge at the beginnings
—to extract & make formal the MENSA_FL --> MEssage Notify Stop Action Flag
--> "a collection of dunning flags"
process.    (08)

Does "dunning" have a German meaning?  It means the process to send someone a
series of (increasingly firm) bills to
collect a debt.  R.G. Dun was an early (1840s) credit rating business here in
the States & eventually merged to become
Dun & Bradstreet, which survives to this day.    (09)

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA
781-455-0949    (010)

this stuff on a regular basis.
>  >
>  > In theory there should be documentation... but situations like this
>typically come down to: "the code is the
documentation."