Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:54:12 -0400
On 7/26/13 8:45 AM, David Eddy wrote:
Kinglsey -

On Jul 26, 2013, at 8:36 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

 there is an NLP and machine-learning dimension to all of this too.

Are you saying that NLP tools can extract human useful meaning from labels like M0760 & MENSA-FL?

I thought NLP meant NATURAL Language Processing.

I am saying that there are tools that will extract those terms from blurb and use the extracts to generate fine-grained structured data endowed with machine and human-comprehensible entity relationship semantics.

If the patterns in questions aren't in blurb e.g., database tables, programming code etc.. The you simply use an existing or custom mapper/cartridge/driver to facilitate the conversion. If I recall, John Sowa even has such a thing for Cobol.

Those labels & most of the junk I've ever had the joy of dealing with in legacy systems are decidedly UNNATURAL.

They can be made natural (to humans and machines) using the combination of tools and human domain experts.

Kingsley

- David

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen