Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:41:31 -0400
On 7/25/13 11:14 AM, David Eddy wrote:
Kingsley -

On Jul 25, 2013, at 10:38 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

What in the SW allows me to know, enables me to learn that the labels "M0760" and "MENSA-FL" mean the same thing?
Yes, via an owl:sameAs relation that associates relationship (triple) participants with the labels "M0760" and "MENSA-FL" .

Here is an example that leverages Linked Data i.e., the use of HTTP URIs to denote the relationship participants such that a human or machine has access to description oriented data that extends from relationship participants all the way to the actual relation semantics:

## Turtle ##
## Co-Reference example ##

<#Thing1>
a <#Entity> ;
<#Thing1> <#label> "M0760" .

<#Thing2>
a <#Entity> ;
<#Thing1> <#label> "MENSA-FL" .

To my eye, you are stating a semantic equivalence... who or what does the discovery?

I apologize for being unclear.  Too much ambiguity in the air.

It is one thing to have a mechanism that STATEs equivalence or similarity across thingies that is obviously easily solved in a variety of ways.  A spreadsheet would suffice & likely be far more familiar to most folks.

I am demonstrating how (using Semantic Web stack components) you deal with co-reference. You have a relationship comprised of two entities facilitated by an owl:sameAs predicate. HTTP URIs denote the object, subject, and predicate of the triple that represents the relationship.

The challenge is how do I LEARN or DISCOVER that thingies are same/similar/related.  How does SW do semantic DISCOVERY?

In one of my live examples (see the G+ note links) I have a live demonstration of owl:sameAs inference. Basically, the reconciliation is automatic.

If for whatever reasons you don't like the reconciliation you can make your own set of statements and then use them as the inference basis.

Currently that sort of esoteric information is typically walking around in the heads of SMEs who can be very difficult to pin down.

We need to find a way to settle them down and grab their attention.

The problem with attention, in this day an age, is that its really hard to capture. People have too much coming at them which is why (as John Sowa articulates, repeatedly) these tools have to build on the legacy infrastructure in use, that's the only way to grab attention.

The situation is that I'm new to "the system" (a highly ambiguous & imprecise description since I really do not know enough to understand if I'm dealing with A system or a dozen systems) & need to achieve some sort of interoperability of various pieces of data.  I want to pull data out of A, B, & G & merge it into X.  Very typical activity.

Better tools.

We have built a lot of these tools. I've written a lot of demos. I just need others to join the few of us that take the dog-fooding approach with end-user, integrator, domain expert etc. tools :-)

Assuming I am working in a typical 20-30-40+ year old (software/documentation) collection, can I just point owl:sameAs functionality at 50M LoC (lines of code in several dozen languages) & it will tell me, or ask me to consider that M0760 & MENSA-FL are potentially the same? I'm guessing SW is silent on this challenge.

No, you would transform the legacy data (using transient or materialized views) and then apply the reasoning at the view layer. What you cannot do is "rip and replace" their existing systems. This is where the problem lies re. "the Semantic Web technology stack" since many advocates overtly seek "rip and replace" over "embrace and extend" .

Kingsley

- David

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen