Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:34:57 -0400
On 7/27/13 10:06 AM, deddy wrote:
> Michael -
>
>> your example becomes more and more specific and challenging :-) Yes, if all
>> you have is the code, you are in trouble and SW technologies are not a magic
>> bullet for solving it.
>>
> Welcome to the world of legacy systems.    (01)

By "legacy systems" you mean a subjective tangled mess rife with
contextual fluidity?    (02)

> I hope against hope that somewhere in the SW stack of tools there just might
>be something to help with
> understanding legacy systems.    (03)

Yes, they help since "meaning" is critical to "understanding" anything.
Thus, you can map out a tangled mess, rife with contextual fluidity, by
decomposing the aforementioned mess into:    (04)

1. entities
2. entity relationships
3. entity relationship roles
4. entity relations .    (05)

You can achieve the above with computer and human oriented languages.

> It's a very SMALL hope.    (06)

I have big hopes, the challenge lies in getting everyone to look at the
task like they would a jigsaw puzzle game where every resource is a
puzzle-piece, as exemplified by the World Wide Web.    (07)

> What I do see is SW creating yet another tangled layer of undocumented,
>poorly understood systems.    (08)

Of course not.    (09)

> I've been attending monthly MIT SW meetings for 4+ years.  Once, by chance, I
>did catch TBL himself saying to the
> audience that "Semantic Web" was a clever marketing label, but that in
>reality, "linked data" would be a more
> appropriate description since there really isn't anything special about
>semantics in the SW.    (010)

Hmm..    (011)

I think TimBL was trying to unravel the obvious fact that the Web he
envisioned was a read-write global graph comprised of:    (012)

1. entities -- things
2. entity relationships -- statements describing things
3. entity roles -- relationship roles e.g., subject, predicate, and object
4. entity relations -- sets of relationships scoped to common predicates
5. relation semantics -- exploitation of First-order logic as the
foundation for relation semantics.    (013)

In the context of the World Wide Web, HTTP URIs would serve as the
denotation (naming) mechanism for the items above.    (014)

The World Wide Web was always about a global entity relationship graph
[1] where humans and machines would be able to comprehend entity
relationship semantics [2]. Basically, the fidelity or entity
relationship semantics of this global entity relationship graph would
evolve (continuously) over time via crowd-sourcing.    (015)

> As you may have noticed, my passion is for a process—tool assisted, but
>requiring human knowledge at the beginnings
> —to extract & make formal the MENSA_FL --> MEssage Notify Stop Action Flag
>--> "a collection of dunning flags"
> process.    (016)

We (certainly I) just need to find the right way to articulate that we
(You and I) are on the same page. At the top of this response, what I
outlined are steps that fall into your "beginnings" view point i.e.,
that domain experts and systems analysts MUST be key participants in the
process. That's totally different from the typical pattern where
programmers (short on domain expertise and industry experience)
generally make things up as they experiment and play with the latest and
greatest programming language, where the real focus is parsing
capabilities, language idioms, and data representation formats etc..    (017)

To conclude, we just need to align our own entity relationship semantics
as we discuss these matters, en route to common understanding  :-)    (018)

Links:    (019)

[1] http://bit.ly/10Y9FL1 -- Proof that Relationship Semantics & Linked
Data were part of original World Wide Web design and proposal
[2] http://bit.ly/16EVFVG -- Illustrating the loose-coupling of
Identifiers (e.g., URIs), Structured Data, and Logic exemplified by Web
Architecture
[3] http://slidesha.re/18CtxGK -- Blogic Presentation by Pat Hayes.    (020)

Kingsley    (021)

> Does "dunning" have a German meaning?  It means the process to send someone a
>series of (increasingly firm) bills to
> collect a debt.  R.G. Dun was an early (1840s) credit rating business here in
>the States & eventually merged to become
> Dun & Bradstreet, which survives to this day.
>
> ______________________
> David Eddy
> Babson Park, MA
> 781-455-0949