Re: [ontolog-forum] Data & Relations

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 14:58:04 -0400

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM, <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi John,

I noticed your use of Person:"Kingsley Idehen" .... I'm curious: is this a new notation for you? Just a step away from "Person:Kingsley Idehen" which would be the fullpagename of a page in a wiki, a page located in the "Person" namespace. From an ISO Topic Maps perspective, it'd be: topictype:topicname.

this last is just what my Wiki design looks too.

Only first, before I do the design step of deciding *what*  I choose to cast as a topic, I have a deeper model in which everything I want to talk in some way about is a *possible* topic.  Both person *and* marriage. (No separate relation 'is married to', or verb 'marries': one concept, one name).  In this model, there are yet no relations, except logical ones.  Some of these verbs and relationships cast as nouns in the deep structure will stay around and gerunds, others will not.

There is nothing ***baked in*** to concepts to tell you whether you want to treat them as relations, things, events.  It is only baked in to the habits of a language and your knowledge of the focus of your human endeavor domain.  If you use a two stage modelling where you *first* cast everything as a noun, you get to consciously decide how to cast things for presentation and implementation, rather than thinking that is the only way to do it.  Then, if you want to have only one kind of thing, say functions, you can accomodate that as well.

That is the key point: the categorical cloak you wish to put on a on a concept is your choice, it is casting it, it isn't ever 'really' one thing or another.   It is cast differently at different times in the same langauge, differently in different languages, etc.   An O-O guy once told me a security position wasn't 'really' an object, because it is 'really' an association between an account and a security.  His implemenation was mighty awkward, since positions were the absolute focus of the domain.

Wm

William Frank

413/376-8167