Re: [ontolog-forum] Data & Relations

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:36:49 -0400
On 5/29/13 9:50 PM, David Eddy wrote:
Kingsley -

On May 29, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

 I can accept relational tables and relational property/predicate graphs (or network) as relation modalities associated with DBMS products associated specific declarative query languages etc.. :-)

I'm explicitly defending the honor, value & significance of non RDBMS data stores.

Your state reads to me that you only deal with RDBMS data structures.

No.

 Do I mis-read this?

Yes.

Frankly I don't know what precisely defines an RDBMS... the fact that storage is rows & columns & held together with various key flavors, or that SQL is the access language.

I'm quite sure IMS's DL/1 is not SQL.

But it has relations :-)

I'm certain that if someone stepped up & demonstrated a piece of magic that swept RDBMS data out to triples (without negatively impacting the production window), folks would be mightily impressed... and the next thing they'd ask: what about my other production DBMS stores?  They're part of my production footprint too.

That's something we offered for eons (RDF based Linked Data time). The trouble right now is getting folks to understand what's possible once the Data, Data Schema, and DBMS engines are all loosely coupled. Marketing induced and driven terminology conflation and misuse remains our biggest challenge.

Remember non-RDBMS data stores have a 30 year head-start on RDBMS in the Fortune 1000.

Yes, of course :-)

Kingsley

___________________
David Eddy