Re: [ontolog-forum] Data & Relations

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 21:50:33 -0400
Kingsley -

On May 29, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

 I can accept relational tables and relational property/predicate graphs (or network) as relation modalities associated with DBMS products associated specific declarative query languages etc.. :-)

I'm explicitly defending the honor, value & significance of non RDBMS data stores.

Your state reads to me that you only deal with RDBMS data structures.  Do I mis-read this?

Frankly I don't know what precisely defines an RDBMS... the fact that storage is rows & columns & held together with various key flavors, or that SQL is the access language.

I'm quite sure IMS's DL/1 is not SQL.

I'm certain that if someone stepped up & demonstrated a piece of magic that swept RDBMS data out to triples (without negatively impacting the production window), folks would be mightily impressed... and the next thing they'd ask: what about my other production DBMS stores?  They're part of my production footprint too.

Remember non-RDBMS data stores have a 30 year head-start on RDBMS in the Fortune 1000.

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Legacy Software, Ltd.
www.legacysoftware.co.uk