Re: [ontolog-forum] Spatial Extent of Abstract Entities?

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 00:42:27 -0400
I generally agree with Doug Foxvog on his comments, but here add a few
clarifications:    (01)

(1)
DF:  > When have you found this necessary?   I suggest that such cases
> were when the need for the locations of the physical representations
> was found necessary -- e.g., the extent of the spread of some
> classified document.

PC > > I haven't yet encountered an occasion to actually *use* the physical
> > 'location'.  It can be problematic.

DF: > Agreed.

Right.  The main point of my question was to inquire whether any other
ontology user has found a practical use for specifying the spatial location
of abstract entities, since this seems to have been one subthread in the
parent thread for this thread.    (02)

(2)
PC: > > But one also needs to decide whether it in fact 'exists'.  My
> treatment
> > considers abstract entities as 'existing' only as long as there is
> some
> > physical representation (which may be , e.g., on paper or in the mind
> of
> > some agent).  When the last representation disappears, that abstract
> > entity no longer 'exists'.

DF: > This is a philosophical question.

PC: > > Can it be re-created?  No, not as the same individual.

DF: > If an author forgets a work, but goes through the same process as
> before to regenerate the work, would you consider the regenerated
> work the "same individual"?

No, unless the author, in recreating the work is actually prodding
him/herself to remember what was in the original, in which case it is a
remembering of what already exists.  This difference may well be
indeterminate, even to the author.  In my analyses, I find this existential
distinction useful, though others may have no use for it.  I am trying to
include in COSMO any *primitive* concept that anyone *might*  find useful.
I am not concerned with logical redundancy via alternative modes of
representation.    (03)

(3)
PC: > > There may be other individual abstract entities (e.g. a sentence)

DF: > Here, you are referring to patterns of symbols.  Once a set of symbols
> has been created, all linear combinations of such symbols
> mathematically
> exist.  So patterns of such symbols technically are not created (nor do
> they cease to exist) -- they are used by people for some purpose.
> Different people may use them with different meaning or with
> (approximately) the same meaning.

Hmm.   I was referring to specific sentences created by an individual at a
particular time, which to me is a "conceptual work", which is an individual
of which there may well be some corresponding class.  I thought that
ConceptualWorks did exist in time in CYC.  They have a creation time.  I
distinguish between a ConceptualWork and some *possible* sequence of words
which might have an equivalent textual representation (and which might be
created in a physical representation at some other time by some team of
monkeys typing randomly)    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA Inc.