Re: [ontolog-forum] Spatial Extent of Abstract Entities?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 14:18:43 -0400
On Mon, May 27, 2013 08:58, John F Sowa wrote:
> On 5/27/2013 3:16 AM, doug foxvog wrote:
>> A sentence as a Conceptual Work is a temporal aspatial entity.
>> Its Abstract Information Structures are atemporal aspatial entities.
>> Tokens of the sentence are temporal spatial entities, whether
>> spoken, written, encoded in physical bits, or transmitted via
>> photons or electrons.    (01)

> I'm happy with everything except the first sentence.    (02)

> The question of when the first token of a particular type appeared
> on planet earth is a legitimate issue.  But it does not imply that
> the type instantly popped into existence at the first utterance.
> I have no quarrel with the term 'conceptual work', but it would be
> better to call it a type (outside space and time) or an equivalence
> class of types of various tokens that appeared at various times.    (03)

A conceptual work is not outside of time because a specific person
(or persons) mentally created the work, completing it at a specific
time.  They probably modified the work in the process of creating
the real world artifact that was the "original copy".  They may
have modified the work several more times, creating different
"versions".  The initial mental work was probably not specific to
a fixed structure of words (if a literary work) or to a specific 2D
structure of colors (if a pictorial work).    (04)

There is a relationship between the individual that is a conceptual
work and the various signs in which it is instantiated.  However,
that relationship is not that of a timeless class to an instance of
the class.    (05)

-- doug foxvog    (06)