Re: [ontolog-forum] Spatial Extent of Abstract Entities?

To: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:34:43 -0400
On Tue, May 28, 2013 00:42, Patrick Cassidy wrote:
> I generally agree with Doug Foxvog on his comments, but here add a few
> clarifications:

> (3)
> PC: > > There may be other individual abstract entities (e.g. a sentence)    (01)

> DF: > Here, you are referring to patterns of symbols.  Once a set of
> symbols
>> has been created, all linear combinations of such symbols
>> mathematically
>> exist.  So patterns of such symbols technically are not created (nor do
>> they cease to exist) -- they are used by people for some purpose.
>> Different people may use them with different meaning or with
>> (approximately) the same meaning.    (02)

> Hmm.   I was referring to specific sentences created by an individual
> at a particular time, which to me is a "conceptual work", which is an
> individual of which there may well be some corresponding class.    (03)

Here you are referring to a subclass of "conceptual work", in Cyc,
#$TextuallySpecificWork.  Note that the book War and Peace, is
not such a work, having a set of versions.  Such a work is related
to the appropriate character string with the Cyc binary relation
#$textOfTextuallySpecificWork, whose second argument is a
text string.    (04)

>  I thought that ConceptualWorks did exist in time in CYC.    (05)

Correct.    (06)

> They have a creation time.  I distinguish between a ConceptualWork
> and some *possible* sequence of words
> which might have an equivalent textual representation (and which might be
> created in a physical representation at some other time by some team of
> monkeys typing randomly)    (07)

Good.  I (and Cyc) also distinguish between the ConceptualWork and
the text string.  The work has many properties that the text string
does not.    (08)

-- doug foxvog    (09)