Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:53:54 -0700

In so far as memes are valued or devalued (i.e. "fit" to survive or not so), god memes, self interest, and many others, play into emotions, yet are masked by our inability to be precise about emotions.  From another list:

    Most people live in an assumptive world much of which is fallacious. Emotion researchers, in part, share some of this world. The popular defenses against understanding emotions can be listed as: 1. Ignore in favor of behavior, thought, perception, etc. 2. Generalize: when referring to emotions, avoid naming particular emotions in favor of abstract terms: emotions, affect, arousal, etc. 3. Disguise: use one of the vast number of words or phrases that avoid the specific name, such as feeling “hot under the collar,” “awkward” or “rejected” instead of using the term anger, embarrassment or the s-word itself. 4. Confuse: The final line of defense is that most vernacular words that refer to specific emotions are wildly ambiguous and/or mask one emotion with another, especially in English. A preliminary approach is offered for naming and defining love, grief, fear, anger, shame and pride.

These emotion words mask self interest very well, and make it hard to construct my long sought self interest ontology.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com