Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John McClure" <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:25:38 -0800
Hi John S,    (01)

So you think the god meme is an inevitable human expression, substantially
achieved without external stimuli. Aren't you therefore saying the
god-concept is NOT a meme at all, because no-thing is being transmitted
virally, an essential characteristic of a meme? You also mention "many
centuries of literature" on this subject - stimuli I'd think quite central
to its transmission, literature written & staged by.... elites.    (02)

Anyway, the importance of transmission mechanisms underwhelm me this momemnt
now that I've gotten to the point of formulating that
  a) a "meme" is related to an "idea"
  b) an (oxford) idea has (required) premises and (optional) consequences
  c) a meme, virally adopted, is a premise of an idea (had by someone else)    (03)

I prefer oxford not heritage idea because to me an idea has "importance", it
has heft, it has consequences. A thought without consequences just does not
seem like much of an idea to me. The Heritage Idea does not encompass
consequences; the Oxford Idea seems to.    (04)

-jmc    (05)