Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 00:40:33 -0700

On Apr 12, 2013, at 12:20 PM, John Bottoms wrote:    (01)

> PatH,
> (see comments below)
>
> On 4/12/2013 4:54 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> Pavithra, greetings.
>>
>> On reading through these emails again, I think I may understand what is
>bothering you.
>>
>> I think you have a picture of the semantic/ontology game which divides the
>world into layers. The base layer is the actual external world, the world of
>objects. Houses, for example, are in this basic layer. Then language comprises
>the next layer, which describes the first layer, and words live in this
>second, language, layer. And perhaps meta-linguistic knowledge, such as
>disussions of grammatical relationships between words, lives in a third layer
>lying even higher. But in any case, the layering is strict, and is necessary
>to avoid paradoxes and perhaps infinite loops in programming, so you object to
>ideas which seem to violate this clean layered division, by for example using
>categories (like Doug's and my "thing") which bridge across two or more layers.
>>
>> If I have this is more or less right, then I would suggest that you might
>want to consider abandoning this layering idea. It does not really correspond
>with anything real, and it is not necessary. It reflects a very early approach
>to avoiding the semantic paradoxes, but this approach was abandoned by
>mathematicians nearly a century ago in favor of more modern approaches to set
>theory (which are now considered standard, most notably Zermelo-Fraenkel set
>theory, dating from 1922) which do not force this rigid hierarchy of levels
>upon the universe. (Indeed, more recent work has shown that it is quite
>possible to have set theories which violate the 'layers' idea even more
>sharply, for example by requiring that all sets have infinitely descending
>chains of subsets, so there is no "bottom" to the universe. I mention this not
>to recommend such odd theories, but only to illustrate that the idea that a
>strict hierachy of levels is somehow necessary, or required in order to keep
>things consistent, is quite wrong.) The IKL logic developed by myself and
>others a few years ago is strictly first-order, but it contains its own
>meta-language: it is able to describe its own propositions and reason about
>them, and even quantify over them, with complete syntactic freedom, without
>needing any kind of 'layering' discipline to maintain internal consistency.
>The propositions are fully-fledged genuine elements of the semantic universe,
>just like everythng else the logic is describing. (See
>http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/ikl/guide/guide.html ) The RDF semantics uses
>a simpler version of the same basic device to ensure consistency while
>allowing such things as classes that contain themselves (rdfs:Class is an
>element of itself, for example.)
> JB: The layering approach traces back to a paper by Edsger W. Dijkstra
> entitled "THE Machine" which suggests that operating systems should be
> [...]

I wasnt talking about operating systems or even programs of any kind, but about
the world/language/metalanguage contrasts and the (mistaken) idea that a strict
separation of these is needed to avoid the semantic paradoxes. I don't think
that we are talking about the same topic here. AFAIKS, semantics has virtually
nothing to do with operating systems nor vice versa.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)