Re: [ontolog-forum] Lost conceptions in decomposition. Thirds, Triadic r

To: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:56:06 -0400
Steven,    (01)

I hope I didn't use the word "semantics", except as a reference to a field of
study.  I try to avoid using the term.  I agree that the term "semantic" is
seriously misused in many writings in "computer science".  Perhaps it is more
accurately a Humpty-Dumpty word -- it means what the author says it means,
assuming that s/he ever does.    (02)

I have some reservations about your definition of 'meaning'.  I am comfortable
with your definition of 'meaning' as it applies to a sentence -- the behavior
that is the conceivable consequence of apprehending the sign (although that
certainly includes the pragmatics of the utterance as well).  I don't agree
that that is the 'meaning' of a 'term'.  Terms are about "reference".  A term
refers to either an individual thing, or to some category of
things/actions/states that have certain common properties.  In conceptualizing
the term, we devise some kind of mental paradigm for the properties.  Whether
that paradigm includes 'behaviors' depends (I suppose) on whether the term
'behavior' includes essentially static properties.  OTOH, I suppose context of
use determines whether I think of  'nose' as a (static) facial feature or about
its association with smell or breathing.    (03)

But this discussion takes us into a realm far removed from dyadic vs. triadic
verb concepts.    (04)

-Ed    (05)