Re: [ontolog-forum] Lost conceptions in decomposition. Thirds, Triadic r

To: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:37:21 -0400
Steven,    (01)

You wrote:    (02)

> One further point of clarification. I assume that you refer to Donald Davidson
> when you say "Daniel Davidson." As in:
>
>       http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/davidson/
>
> This will explain some differences in our approaches.    (03)

Yes.  I see that I keep making that mistake.  It is caused by (a) my having had
a professor who was "Daniel Davison", and (b) my writing emails without proper
attention.  It is now apparent to me that I have some brain cross-wiring that
is not easy to fix in my old age.  :-)    (04)

And yes, that is the difference in our approaches.  In my case, it is
compounded by my recent re-education in natural language processing, which
leads me to believe that almost all active NLP projects use a Davidsonian model
of events/occurrences.  This is in part a consequence of the (IMO ill-founded)
academic love affair with RDF triples.  (As I recall, in the 1970s, there was a
similar popular notion that parses of formal languages would all be triples,
with arguments about linked graphs vs. Polish notation structures.  But there
was a camp, led (if I recall correctly) by Jeffrey Aho, who argued for "quads",
as a representation powerful enough to capture the substance of any
computational structure without requiring dyadic subterfuges.)    (05)

-Ed    (06)