Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: MOVED: Re: [ontology-summit] Hackathon: BACnet

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:15:14 -0400
JohnS,    (01)

Could you clarify, "I am becomming more and more convinced that any
language generated by humans must be considered unrestricted NL". I am
sure you understood what you meant but I am missing the context for the
statement.    (02)

Certainly, there are languages such as programming languages that are
not unrestricted.
Perhaps you meant that to apply to KR languages. In that case, I agree.
And that is why I am interested in SGML. It may be awkward but it is 1.)
extensible and 2.) an ISO standard. It seems that with every new release
by W3C they close the doors a bit more.    (03)

This is the recent (relatively) statement concerning HTML5:
(source: http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/)
"Although it is inspired by its SGML origins, in practice, it really
only shares minor syntactic similarities."
   (and)
"As HTML5 is no longer formally based upon SGML, the DOCTYPE no longer
serves this purpose, and thus no longer needs to refer to a DTD."    (04)

This further moves the control to the XML family of standards to W3C and
closes the door to open architecure implementations. Further, the
relegation of RuleML, BI and extensibility to the W3C database systems
means that there will be no semantics exposed within the semantic Web.    (05)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Systems
  Concord, MA USA    (06)